German language requirements for applicants

German language requirements for applicants

In order to enrol in a German-taught degree programme other than the exceptions listed below, foreign nationals and stateless persons need to provide a certificate indicating their level of German. If you belong to one of these groups, you should furnish one of the following language certificates:

If you have German level B1 and expect to have the required language certificate by the time of enrolment

If you cannot provide a German language certificate with your application but are able to show that you have German skills equivalent to level B1 CEFR you should proceed with your application. If your other qualifications meet the required standard, you will receive an offer conditional on passing the German language test at the required level by the date of enrolment; you should then provide the relevant certificates by that date, but in any event no later than 30 September (for the winter semester start) or 31 March (for summer semester).

German language requirements for the master's programmes

The table below lists the required language skills for matriculation. The second column, "apply with B1?" indicates whether you can apply if you have proof of B1 language skills. Assuming your other application documents are all in order and of the required level, you will then receive a conditional offer. Please note that you have to reach the level indicated under 'required level' by the time of matriculation (unless stated otherwise) if you have such a conditional offer; otherwise you will be automatically de-registered from the degree programme.

Master's programme Required level Apply with B1?
M.Sc. Business Administration TDN 4×4, DSH-2 no
M.A. Caritas Science and Values-based Management B2, DSH-1 yes
M.Sc. Computer Science B2, DSH-1; A1* if studying in English yes (not applicable if studying in English)
M.A. Development Studies A1* not applicable
M.A. European Studies B2, DSH-1 yes
M.A. Geographie: Kultur, Umwelt und Tourismus B2, DSH-1 yes
M.A. Governance and Public Policy TDN 4×4, DSH-2 no
LL.M. German Law for foreign graduates B2, DSH-1 yes
M.A. History B2, DSH-1 yes
M.Sc. Information Systems TDN 4×4, DSH-2 no
M.A. International Cultural and Business Studies B2, DSH-1 yes
M.A. International Economics and Business TDN 4×4, DSH-2 no
M.A. Media and Communication TDN 4×4, DSH-2 no
M.Sc. Mobile and Embedded Systems A1* not applicable
M.A. North and Latin American Studies B2, DSH-1 yes
M.A. Russian and East Central European Studies B2, DSH-1; not required if studying in English yes; not applicable if studying in English
M.A. Semiotics of Texts and Culture TDN 4×4, DSH-2 no
M.Ed. Teaching and Learning Processes B2, DSH-1 yes

* Applicants for M.Sc. Computer Science, M.A. Development Studies or M.Sc. Mobile and Embedded Systems who cannot provide evidence of beginner's German language skills at level A1 CEFR at the time of matriculation will attend a compulsory German language course during the first two semesters of study.

The study and examination regulations governing the respective degree programmes specify which language test is required for admission to the programme. However, the following are always considered equivalent to TestDaF TDN 4×4:

  • DSH-2 or DSH-3
  • Deutsches Sprachdiplom der Kultusministerkonferenz – Stufe II (DSD II)
  • The Goethe Institute's Zentrale Oberstufenprüfung (ZOP), the Kleines Deutsches Sprachdiplom or Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom

Sitting the DSH test at the Language Centre

You may sit the DSH test at the University's Language Centre if you have German language skills equivalent to level B2 CEFR or above and have been offered a place on one of the University's degree programmes.

Students at the University of Passau


Student Registration Office

Administration building
Innstrasse 41

Phone: +49 851 509 ext. 1127 or 1128

Office hours:
Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m. to 12 noon