De-registration (termination of enrolment)

De-registration (termination of enrolment)

Your enrolment ends automatically at the end of the semester in which you complete your final examination (cf. art. 49(1) of the Bavarian Higher Education Act, BayHSchG).

In accordance with the above law, your enrolment on the programme is terminated if:

  • you withdraw from the programme (i.e. make a written request for termination of enrolment)
  • a reason comes to light which, in accordance with art. 46 BayHSchG, would have prevented you from enrolling in your degree programme in the first place
  • you have failed a required assessment, having exhausted all resit possibilities or if, for reasons within your responsibility, you do not meet the conditions for registering for an assessment, unless you are changing to another degree programme
  • you do not provide proof of payment of the fees or contributions payable at re-registration, or if you do not provide the student health insurance certificate for reasons within your responsibility
  • there is substantiated evidence that you enrolled or re-registered in bad faith

If you wish to withdraw from the programme in accordance with art. 49(2)(1) Bavarian Higher Education Act (BayHSchG), you should submit a written request for termination of enrolment, on which you must indicate the exact date of de-registration. The de-registration date cannot be prior to the date of reception of the application. You will receive your de-registration certificate by post.

If you have already paid your semester contribution, you will only be reimbursed if you are de-registered from the programme before the start of the relevant semester, i.e. before 1 October or 1 April, as the case may be.

Repayment of contribution request form (in German)

University regulations on matriculation, re-registration, leave of absence and withdrawal/termination of registration (in German)

Cancellation of enrolment before the semester starts

You have just enrolled at the University of Passau and have subsequently changed your mind about the programme or the university. As long as the semester has not started yet, you can send a written request for cancellation of enrolment. This request must be received by the Student Registration Office by 31 March if the programme starts in the summer semester, or by 30 September for the winter semester. If you have already received a CampusCard, please return it together with your request. Once you have cancelled enrolment, any enrolment certificates already issued lose their validity and neither university nor subject semesters are counted. Subsequently, you will receive a letter from the Student Registration Office confirming that enrolment has been cancelled.

Request form for cancellation of enrolment

Any semester fees already paid will be refunded upon receipt of the completed reimbursement form.

Reimbursement form (German)


The CampusCard must be returned in the case of early termination of enrolment! If termination of enrolment takes place at the end of the semester (31 March or 30 September), the CampusCard remains with the student.

If you still have any open balances (refectory, printer-copier balance) on your CampusCard, please contact:

Refectory/cafeteria credit:
Mensacard Office
Room 163, Library Building
Innstrasse 29
Sandra Rüdiger-Müller:
Josef Zillner:

Printer-copier credit:

Business/Economics Faculty Building
Innstrasse 27

Contact for enquiries

Student Registration Office
Innstrasse 41
94032 Passau
Phone: +49 851 509 ext. 1127 or 1128