Studying as a parent

Studying as a parent

Leave for pregnancy or childcare

Please send in your written request (German form) for leave due to pregnancy or childcare as stipulated in §48 sec. 2 BayHSchG in accordance with §10 ImmSa within the relevant deadline. Leave is granted in the presence of circumstances that would analogously entitle employees for parental leave. Given these circumstances, the leave may exceed two semesters, which will not be added to your number of regular study semesters. During maternity or parental leave in accordance with §48 sec. 4 of the Bavarian Higher Education Act (BayHSchG), you may also attempt assessments, but not resits. For further information, please contact the Examinations Office.

Time extensions for term papers

Students who are currently on maternity leave may request a time extension for handing in written assignments, dissertations and theses. The study and examination regulations of each study programme provide that all deadlines during your studies have to follow the protection period for mothers stipulated in the Maternity Protection Act (MuSchG).

As a student during their pregnancy or after giving birth, the deadline for a written assignment, dissertation or thesis will be postponed by 6 weeks before childbirth (§3 MuSchG) and for an additional 8 weeks after the birth of one child or 12 weeks after the birth of two or more children respectively (§6 MuSchG). You are, however, free to hand in assignments ahead of time.

Financial support for families

Studying and raising children at the same time can be a financial challenge as well. As a parent, you have access to statutory and voluntary financial support offers, such as donations of foundations or non-profit organisations as well as grants awarded for outstanding academic achievement. Find all options for financial support at a glance on the Student Services Association website and information on scholarships from the Women's Representative.

Services offered by the Student Services Association

Welfare advice

The Welfare Advice Office of the Student Services Association helps you to perform the balancing act between lectures and nursery, library and changing table, and to support you as a student with children. For questions concerning welfare advice and individual life planning, Ms Elke Penteker is at your service.

Parent association ‘CampusEltern’ 

The Student Services Association offers an exchange meeting for pregnant students and studying parents once or twice each semester. Both parents and those interested in the University's family policies are welcome. Leaflet of parent association CampusEltern (German)

Children's meals at the refectory

The University cafeteria offers free children’s meals to all children up to age 6 with studying parents. Children may choose a main and side dish from the daily menu and get it for free with the child cafeteria card. To receive a child cafeteria card, please hand in your enrolment letter and your child’s birth certificate in the ‘MensaCard’ office, Central library building (ZB), room 163.

Follow us

Women's Representative on Facebook