There are many counselling and therapy offers for people who need help or someone to talk to. An overview of counselling and therapy programmes in the Passau region to whom affected persons can turn in case of problems:
Generally, the first point of contact for psychological problems should be the general practitioner. The family doctor can clarify in advance whether the illness in question is a serious one that needs to be treated, such as depression, or whether there is only a mood disturbance. If necessary, he can guide those affected to the right place in the health system or prescribe light medication.
Psychiatry – like psychotherapy – deals with diseases of a person’s psyche. Psychiatric specialists work in psychiatric institutions, i.e. institutions that specialise in the treatment of such illnesses. Unlike psychotherapists, for example, they can prescribe drugs such as antidepressants. There are psychiatric day clinics in which patients have to be on site on an outpatient basis, i.e. only for the duration of the treatment. Inpatient stays in psychiatric hospitals are usually suitable for people who are seriously mentally ill and who can pose a threat (suicide) to themselves or others. In addition to the clinics, there are also established psychiatrists who offer treatment in their practice. The psychological-psychotherapeutic counselling centre is also there to make a preliminary diagnosis and make a recommendation for appropriate further treatment.
- Passau District Hospital: The specialist clinic for adult psychiatry, psychotherapy and psychosomatics diagnoses and treats the entire spectrum of psychiatric and psychosomatic diseases in adulthood. It offers inpatient, day-care and outpatient treatment.
- Psychiatric Outpatient Clinic Passau: Is responsible for the outpatient aftercare of inpatients and is used for outpatient diagnostics and crisis intervention in emergencies. Office contact: +49 851 21360-510. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Appointments with an established psychiatrist in Passau can be arranged via the counselling centre.
Psychosomatics deals with the effects and treatment of mental stress on the body. Psychosomatics is based on the interaction of body and soul. In psychosomatics, too, there are different treatment models, which – just like in psychiatry – can be carried out either as inpatient or outpatient treatment.
- Psychosomatic Clinic Southeast Bavaria: The therapeutic work of the Psychosomatic Clinic Southeast Bavaria consists of getting to know and treating the causes of the mental and physical crises and psychosomatic illnesses together with the patients. In addition to the physical aspects, the treatment also considers the social, professional and psychological aspects of the patient’s life. For example, the focus is on depression, anxiety and panic disorders, personality disorders, eating disorders and obsessive-compulsive disorders. The inpatient psychosomatic treatment takes place in Wegscheid (district Passau); in Passau there is a psychosomatic day clinic.
- Rottal-Inn hospitals – Psychosomatic Clinic Simbach: The clinic in Simbach am Inn (district of Rottal-Inn) offers a wide range of treatment options, both outpatient and inpatient. No closed facility available.
- Ananke Psychosamatik Freyung specialises in the treatment of eating disorders.
Address lists for psychotherapists are available either directly from the counselling centre or from the Association of Statutory Health Insurance Physicians.
A waiting period of one to three months for psychotherapy is usual. Many psychotherapists now offer consultation hours during which short-term appointments for a preliminary talk are made. If there is a need for treatment, the psychotherapist places the patient on a waiting list. Generally, the costs of psychotherapeutic treatment are covered by the health insurance fund after application and assessment.
- The Counselling Centre for Mental Health (Social Psychiatric Service) of the Diakonisches Werks Passau e.V. offers information, counselling and support for people with mental disorders and their relatives.
- Marriage, family and life counselling, specialist psychological service for the diocese of Passau.
- The addiction counselling service of Caritas Passau e.V. specialises in the treatment and counselling of addicts.
- Educational, youth and family counselling: typical counselling content with young adults (support in crises and after stressful experiences, support in a new phase of life such as the beginning of training or studies, coping with fears while interacting with peers).
- pro familia Niederbayern e.V. offers advice and support on all aspects of sexuality, family planning, partnership and pregnancy. Marriage, family and life counselling is also offered.
A good way to treat mental illnesses or disorders, or even a temporarily stressful phase in life, is to exchange ideas with like-minded people. This can take the form of group meetings in self-help groups, of which there are some in Passau. A good overview is to be found on the sides of the district Passau and/or the health office.