This section of the website contains information that does not change on a semester basis, e.g. on internships, dissertations and theses, mark improvement, credit transfers or missing an exam due to illness.
If you are looking for information on exam registration, exam dates, seating plans and script viewing, please visit our semester-related information page instead.
Additionally, degree programme-specific information can be found here.
You can reach us by phone or e-mail daily from 9 a.m. to 12 noon and additionally on Wednesdays from 1 to 3 p.m.
In addition, you can make consultation appointments (by telephone/Zoom or in person) at any time. To make an appointment, please contact the Examinations Officer for your degree programme (see https://www.uni-passau.de/en/examinations-office/contact).
Due to current developments, we would ask you preferably to use telephone or Zoom appointments.
If you have to submit an application, you can still send it in by post or e-mail. In order to help us process your applications quickly, please:
- send your application by e-mail
- attach the whole application as a single PDF document
- structure the PDF document in the following order: application form – supporting documents – additional information you wish to provide (if any)
A certified translation is required for certificates that are not in German or English.
For acceptance for credit of achievements gained in another programme or at another institution, please fill in the corresponding form for your faculty and submit it to the Examinations Office. Please also note the information on re-classification into a higher semester (German).
- Faculty of Arts and Humanities: Credit transfers (German)
Guidelines for the Teacher Education Programmes and Bachelor and Master of Education (German)
For the B.A. European Studies Major programme there is a separate application form for acceptance for credit of courses studied abroad [German content]
- Faculty of Business, Economics and Information Systems: Acceptance for credit of assessments that were completed at the University during the enrolment process (organisational unit responsible: Examinations Office) or
Acceptance for credit of assessments completed prior to enrolment (organisational unit responsible: Faculty of Business, Economics and Information Systems).
- Faculty of Computer Science and Mathematics: Credit transfers (German)
- Faculty of Law:
- Acceptance for credit of assessments for the Law undergraduate (state examination) programme [German content]
- Acceptance for credit of assessments for the LL.M. German Law for Foreign Graduates programme [German content]
- Acceptance for credit of assessments for the LL.B. Legal Tech degree programme [German content]
Then you must complete the Registration of Periods of Study or Work Abroad Form and hand it in together with the Degree Certificate and Transcripts Request Form.
We require a written request from you to issue the degree documents; these are not issued automatically. You will find the application form on your degree programme page.
If you have earned credits at a foreign higher education institution and have had them recognised at the University of Passau, you must submit the Registration of Periods of Study or Work Abroad Form with your application unless you have already submitted this form at an earlier date.
- Apply for your certificate at the earliest opportunity. It can take up to four weeks until your degree documents are issued and signed.
- Make sure you have provided a current address. You can change this on HISQIS provided you are still enrolled.
The graduation ceremony is organised by your Dean's Office.
Faculty of Arts and Humanities
For the graduation ceremonies of the Faculty of Arts and Humanities you will receive an invitation and further information from the Dean's Office directly by e-mail. For this purpose, please fill out page 2 of the certificate and academic transcripts request form. If you are interested, you can register bindingly for the celebration of your degree program via an online form after receiving an invitation from the Dean's Office. The ceremonies usually take place in July/August and February/March. Bachelor's and Master's graduates as well as doctoral and postdoctoral candidates receive a second copy of the certificate.
Faculty of Business, Economics and Information Systems
The Dean's Office will send you an invitation to the graduation ceremony of the Faculty of Business, Economics and Information Systems and further information by post. At the ceremony, which takes place each June and December, you will be given a copy of your certificate.
Faculty of Computer Science and Mathematics
The graduation ceremony of the Faculty of Computer Science and Mathematics takes place once a year, in January. Order to register, please fill in the supplementary page of the certificate and academic transcripts request form. We will then forward your registration together with a copy of your certificate to the Dean's Office.
Faculty of Law
The Faculty of Law holds two graduation ceremonies every year. You will receive the invitation from Landgericht Passau. The Dean's Office will take your registration. At the ceremony you will be handed the original degree certificate.
If you are unable to attend an examination due to illness, please submit the Inability to Attend Examinations due to Illness Form to the Examinations Office as described in the related information sheet. Please make sure you follow the instructions in the information sheet.
Faculty of Arts and Humanities
Before the internship, the Centre for Careers and Competencies and the programme co-ordinators issue personalised certificates.
After the internship, the internships are approved by the respective internship officers. Please use the Internship Approval Form. When requesting approval, please adhere to the internship guidelines (German) for the bachelor's and master's degree programmes of the Faculty of Arts and Humanities.
Faculty of Computer Science and Mathematics
Internships can be counted towards a number of degree programmes. Before starting your internship, please contact an examiner of the Faculty of Computer Science and Mathematics to arrange supervision of your internship.After the internship, your supervisor is the person responsible for approvals. Please use the Internship Approval Form.
You must register for all core and examination modules, as well as other coursework and written assignments, via HISQIS.
- Please note the deadlines and important dates.
- Please register in good time, as retroactive registrations will only be approved in serious and proven exceptional circumstances.
- Check your registrations and cancellations in HISQIS (Is the examination code correct? Is the correct examiner listed?)
- Please also inform yourself about additional registration conditions at the relevant Chair.
- During the leave semester, you can only resit failed examinations, but you are not allowed to sit a new examination (first attempt).
Exceptions: If you withdrew from your examination on health grounds (your record shows "ATT") or if the exam was a covid-19-related free attempt ("KNA"), your next attempt does not count as a resit but as a first attempt, which means that you cannot sit those during the leave semester.
If there is a possibility for you to improve your mark for a module, please submit the voluntary resit request for mark improvement form (German) to the Examinations Office before the set deadline. Please read the information sheet on mark improvement (German).