Dear future Passau-students!
Welcome to our beautiful city! Do you already have plans what to do during your time in Passau? Now you do: Become a member of Vis Moot Team Passau and take part in one of the biggest and most renowned legal competitions worldwide!
What is the Vis Moot?
The Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot was established to educate law students world-wide on international sales law and international arbitration. Under the twenty-year leadership of Pace Professor Emeritus Eric Bergsten, it has grown into a prominent educational and professional event, attracting more than 380 teams from over 80 countries, as well as hundreds of professionals -- academics, arbitrators and practitioners.
The competition focuses on fictional cross-border arbitration proceedings between two companies. Each participating university puts together a team of law students, who will draw up written memoranda for both sides of the dispute from October until January. Following the submission of the memoranda, the teams will prepare for the oral pleadings in Vienna in April, where all teams will appear before „arbitral tribunals“ made up of three professionals, usually professors, judges or attorneys working in the field of international commercial arbitration. The teams will be graded according to their performance in the written and oral submissions and a winner will be determined in each category.
What is in it for you?
The moot provides you with the unique chance to put your theoretical legal knowledge to practice: You will act as an attorney and learn how to defend your client’s interests in written form and before a tribunal. You will gain legal and rhetorical skills, which will be of great use for your future career.
- Teamwork: Be part of a close-knit team and learn to research, discuss, plead and (hopefully) travel together.
- Language skills: Both, the written memoranda and the oral pleadings, will be in English. Research in international literature and numerous practice pleadings will prepare you to discuss complex legal questions in a foreign language.
- Internationality: The Vis Moot attracts over 2.500 students from over 380 universities from more than 80 countries. Pre-moots all over Europe and the final round in Vienna give you the opportunity to get to know different legal approaches.
- Networking: Connect and make friends with students and legal professionals from all over the world – either in person or online.
- (Hopefully) Travel: Visit cities like Vienna, Prague, Belgrade, Moscow, Edinburgh etc. and get to know he world by travelling to pre-moots all over Europe.
Did we spark your interest? Apply until 3rd of July 2022 to Mr Fritz Gabrysch by mail. Please enclose all relevant documents (CV, grades, letter of motivation) as one PDF-document.