Headergrafik Schmuckbild
  •   International
A cosmopolitan university

A cosmopolitan university

The International Office is the first point of contact for international students coming to study at the University of Passau. To get you started and answer some of the first questions facing you as a future students in Passau, we have put together tips for international students dealing with questions such as:

Just talk to us – we're here to help.

Exchange students at the University of Passau

Are you a degree-seeking student planning to study abroad?

All roads lead to Rome – and naturally to all of our other worldwide partner universities as well. Your student days are the best time in your life for you to go out and explore the world, travel to distant lands and get immersed in a foreign culture.

Why should you do this? There are plenty of good reasons for broadening your horizons. You will:

  • gain in-depth knowledge in a foreign culture
  • perfect your language skills
  • strengthen your adaptability and mental flexibility
  • improve your cross-cultural skills

All of these are important soft skills which benefit you personally and professionally, as they are highly sought after by employers. But studying or working abroad should not be just something you're doing 'for the CV'; going abroad is a highly enriching experience, you will make lots of new friends, come back home with impressions and experiences to last you a lifetime and find that you have gained a new perspective on various issues in the process.

But to make sure that it works out this way, it's a good idea to get some help when it comes to organising your studies or work placement abroad. Luckily, the University of Passau is well equipped in this regard.

The worldwide network of the University of Passau

If you feel the urge to take a break from student life in Passau, the University offers you excellent possibilities for a change of scenery: the University is top of the list in Germany when it comes to arranging language and student exchanges. Thanks to our large network of international partnerships, of which there are around 200 in total, we can arrange placements in the Americas, Australia, Asia and Europe.

Study or work?

If you prefer to gain work experience abroad, you could do worse than apply for an ERASMUS or DAAD grant for internships abroad. Another way to gain international exposure is to work as an assistant language teacher. Typically this involves teaching German to school children abroad for a duration of 6 to 11 months. This is a particularly appealing opportunity for teaching degree students, allowing you to teach school children your mother tongue while at the same time learning about their language, culture, traditions, and of course their education system: cultural exchange at its best.

Got itchy feet? We can help you get started with your planning:

We'll help you plan your study or work abroad

An exchange student at the University of Passau

The first point of contact if you want to study abroad is the International Office team. We can give you general information about studying abroad or arrange scholarships for study-abroad students. We are also your primary contact if you are an international student coming to study in Passau.

The Centre for Careers and Competences can help you decide whether to go abroad on an internship, as a scholarship-recipient or as an ERASMUS student. The Careers Service publishes a regular newsletter with the latest paid internship offers and scholarships.

Also, you can ask the study-abroad mentors ("Auslandstutoren") for their valuable tips and hands-on help when planning your stay abroad. As returnee students who volunteer to let future study-abroad students benefit from their experiences, study-abroad mentors organise workshops on studying abroad and have regular office hours. And when you return from a prolonged stay abroad, the study-abroad mentors can help you get back in the flow of things at Passau University.

Subject-specific language programmes

To make it easier to study abroad, students can study a subject-specific language programme tailored to their degree discipline before leaving Germany. The coursework completed in one of these programmes gets special recognition when applying for a degree course at a partner university abroad.