The University of Passau is known for its excellent teaching. Student satisfaction at the University is generally of a very high level. Graduates receive excellent preparation for management roles in business, social and academic organisations, often in far-flung places all over the world. This makes Passau University an outstanding place to study in Bavaria and Germany. The University intends to maintain and expand this position. Ongoing efforts to further improve student success, to continually increase the attractiveness of the study options offered and to ensure their research relevance, particularly at the master's level, will lay the foundation for the best preparation of our graduates both for professional life and for academic career paths.
Instruments of quality assurance
The Quality Management Section supports the faculties, University Executive and University Administration in achieving these quality goals through the use of various instruments:
The Co-ordinating Centre for Degree Programme Development (KSE) was established in May 2019.
As a contact and interface for programme convenors, faculty executives and relevant contacts in the central administration and the central facilities and services, KSE will ensure frictionless introduction and modification of degree programmes. Mr Tobias Kurz is your KSE contact person.
Surveys of different target groups are an important element of quality monitoring. At the degree programme level, we compute various parameters for student satisfaction with teaching, study and programme. The graduate survey provides us with detailed insights into the transition to a master's degree or professional life, satisfaction with the studies in retrospect and satisfaction with the current (professional) position.
The following surveys are carried out regularly:
- Study quality monitor
- Graduate surveys
- Teaching evaluations (conducted by the faculties)
An essential feature of quality assurance at the University is the evaluation of degree programmes by external experts. All study programmes are currently accredited or in the process of (re-)accreditation.
Further information on the current accreditation status of degree programmes at the University.
In addition to everyday instruments, the central quality management section (QM) offers further services, including quantitative and qualitative analyses, support in the introduction of new study programmes and surveys, as well as surveys specific to needs and target groups.
- Analysis of standard period of study (overrun) in winter semester 2016/17
- Entrance survey of international students in winter semester 2015/16
- Survey among law graduates of the examination years 2012, 2013 and 2014 in winter semester 2015/16
- Graduate survey for the M.A. Caritas Science 2011–16, conducted in summer semester 2017
- Development of an English-language evaluation sheet for the M.A. Development Studies programme
- Survey of students with children: download the summary here (German text)
In order to promote good and innovative teaching, the University of Passau annually awards the following prizes
- Teaching awards
- Financial resources from the teaching innovation pool
- For further training in the field of university didactics, teaching staff at all levels of qualification can take advantage of a target group-relevant courses offered by Lehre+.