DAAD short-term grant for internships
The DAAD short-term grant for internships can be used to fund self-organised internships of unlimited duration at certain institutions abroad, for example at the EU or the UN (see Eligible Institutions).
Below you will find a short summary of the most important general conditions of the programme. When applying, it is essential that you also read the detailed information provided by the DAAD as well as the award guidelines for the DAAD short-term grant for internships (both only available in German).
- German missions abroad (embassies, consulates general)
This does not include: Representations of German federal states, e.g. to the EU, and German Chambers of Commerce Abroad. Alternative scholarship programmes: e.g. Erasmus+
- International organisations (UN, EU) (only available in German)
- German Schools Abroad (DAS) (only available in German)
Please note: The application is possible for non-teaching students who would like to do an internship at a German school abroad. Application is not possible for student teachers. Alternative scholarship programme: Lehramt.International
- Goethe-Institutes worldwide
This does not include:Goethe Centres. Alternative scholarship programmes: e.g. PROMOS or Erasmus+
- Institutes of the Max Weber Foundation
- German Archaeological Institutes worldwide (DAI)
- Selected institutions in the field of foreign cultural policy: These mostly smaller institutions themselves inform interested applicants when there is an opportunity to apply for the short-term grant.
- German as well as non-German students who are enrolled at the University of Passau and aim to graduate at the University of Passau or to do their doctorate at the University of Passau
- Study progress:
- Bachelor‘s students: at least 2nd semester
- Master‘s students: no requirement
- Minimum duration of the internship: 40 calendar days (usually corresponds to 6 weeks)
- Maximum duration of the internship: unlimited
- Enrolment at the University of Passau during the entire internship period
- Monthly stipend rate (lump sum) for living expenses (only available in German)
- One-time country-specific travel allowance (for outward and return travel)
- Maximum funding period: 3 months
- Payment of the full grant before the start of the internship
BAföG recipients receive a monthly top-up to the BAföG payment abroad (also a lump sum) instead of the monthly stipend rate.
Please note: A DAAD scholarship and funding from the Erasmus+ Programme, the Fulbright Programme, PROMOS or the Programme to promote internationalisation cannot be claimed at the same time. Therefore, decide in advance which scholarship programme suits you best.
- At the earliest 60 and at the latest 32 calendar days before the start of the internship
- The application documents must be uploaded on time and in full in the DAAD online application portal. Incomplete applications will be rejected for formal reasons.
- Applications can only be submitted online via the DAAD application portal. On the DAAD website you will also find instructions on the application process (only available in German)
Questions can be answered by the DAAD-Infocenter per contact form (only available in German) or by telephone: Tel.: +49 (228) 882-180
- A detailed list of the required documents can be found on the scholarship website at "Bewerbungsverfahren" (only available in German)
- Make sure that your documents are complete. Missing documents will not be requested. In such cases, you will be rejected immediately - even if only one document is missing.
Within 8 weeks after the end of the internship, the required final documents must be submitted directly to the DAAD via the online application portal:
- Cover sheet (Included in and annexed to the funding confirmation)
- Final report: max. 3 pages (DIN A4)
- Description of the activities, special aspects of the daily work routine and projects worked on during the internship
- Description of the living environment outside the workplace and advice for future interns/students on living in the host country
- Certificate from the institution providing the internship stating the exact duration of the internship: written on official letterhead, personally signed and stamped
Answers to frequently asked questions can be found in our FAQ on scholarships for internships abroad on the German version of the page (only available in German).