With the Family and University Charter, the University of Passau commits itself to a family-friendly profile. The charter includes all areas of university life, ranging from management to study and working conditions, day care, research and networking. The charter is based on the voluntary commitment of the participating universities. Its family-friendliness concept provides for childcare and caring for relatives.
To ensure your protection as a pregnant or breastfeeding student and that of your (unborn) child, the University of Passau is committed to measures intended to make it as easy as possible for you to reconcile pregnancy and maternity with your studies. In order that the University of Passau can carry out its duties, it is necessary for you to make an appointmentwith the Equal Opportunities Section –see contact details below.
Please present the following documents:
- A certificate of expected delivery date, e.g. Mutterpass (maternity record), so that the beginning (and foreseeable end) of your maternity protection period can be determined.
- After delivery: A copy of your child's birth certificate and, if applicable, proof of extension of the maternity protection period following childbirth (to help us determine the (actual) end of your maternity protection period) as well as, if applicable, your informal declaration that you are breast-feeding your child. Breastfeeding mothers are protected by legislation in the first 12 months after childbirth.
- A list of the courses that you would like to attend during the current and following semester, so that potential risks can be precluded and possible disadvantages due to pregnancy/breastfeeding avoided or compensated for from the outset (e.g. replacement dates for examinations). The data will be disclosed with your consent.
Following notification of your pregnancy/breastfeeding period, you will receive a letter from the Equal Opportunities Section informing you of the beginning/end of your maternity protection period. The letter is proof of your special protection status during the maternity protection period.
You can sit exams during the maternity protection period. Your registration for the exam is considered an explicit waiver. However, the Maternity Protection Act entitles you to revoke this statement with future effect at any time (both before and during an exam before submitting the exam). The revocation must be submitted in writing to the central Examinations Office (email is sufficient). No further proof (certificate) is necessary for this. Revocation of the waiver after taking the exam is not possible, however.
Please take the letter for the determination of the maternity protection deadline with you to exams and, in the event of a failure to attend an exam in which you are already enrolled or in the event of cancellation of the exam by the examiner or supervisor, please present it to the Examinations Office.
You will need a medical certificate if you do not attend an examination for which you have already registered or you cancel an exam before and after the maternity protection period. In this case, the normal rules for illness-related non-attendance of an exam apply.
Rest and nursing breaks
An overview of the resting and nursing rooms on the campus can be found at http://www.uni-passau.de/en/university/governance-structure/womens-representative/familienservice/ (‘diaper-changing tables’).
Please additionally report your pregnancy or breastfeeding period to the section responsible for you in the Human Resources Division.
Please report your pregnancy or breastfeeding period to your internship host.
Contacts for enquiries:
For questions about maternity protection and/or family life and study balance:
Equal Opportunities Section
Ms Marie-Helene Wünsch und Dr Claudia Krell:
Phone: +49 851 509 ext. 1026 or 1023
Law Faculty building (Innstrasse 39) rooms JUR 010 and JUR 011
For questions on student finance (students grants/loans etc.):
Welfare Advice Office (Sozialberatung) of the Student Services Association (Studentenwerk)
Ms Elke Penteker: Penteker@stwno.de
Phone: +49 851 509 1900
Central Library building (Innstrasse 29), room ZB 238
For questions about semesters on leave and planning your further studies:
Academic Advice Service
Phone: +49 851 509 ext. 1154, 1153, 1152, 1151 or 1150
Administration building (Innstrasse 41), first floor
For medical questions, e.g. on pregnancy and breastfeeding:
Dr. med. Stefan Hafner, University Physician
Phone: +49 851 5552
Kleiner Exerzierplatz 14, 94032 Passau
The newly established room provides a central space on campus for parents and children. It is located in the Central Library building, to the right of the lobby (room 117). The room is equipped with a computer, a play corner, a cot and a comfortable couch. Food you bring along can be heated in the adjacent kitchen. The room for parents and children is kept locked when not in use. Please approach the Central Library’s lending desk to borrow the keys – you will have to leave your CampusCard with the lending desk and it will be returned to you when you bring them back. If you are not a university student or staff member, you may register to use the room with the Equal Opportunities Section.
- Registration for use of the parent-child room for external users (German)
- Overview over diaper-changing facilities in University buildings (German)
- If you have any suggestions or feedback, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.