The International Office has set up an accommodation service for exchange students.
- Exchange students can apply to us for a room. We manage the contracts and allocations for a limited number of rooms in student halls and in a few private flats in Passau. We also pass on the details of private landlords who have alerted us to room vacancies to students who have applied for rooms.
- We provide helpful tips to international students who are searching for accommodation in Passau.
- We assist Passau students who go on an international exchange with sub-letting their rooms to incoming exchange students in their absence. For more information, see the (German) page about post-application steps for exchange students
The closing deadlines for applying for accommodation are:
- 15 December for the following summer semester (March/April to August)
- 15 June for the following winter semester (September/October to February)
Please be aware that applying before the deadline does not guarantee that you will be offered a room, especially for the winter semester.
Exchange students are given priority for room allocation, as there are fewer alternatives for those seeking accommodation contracts shorter than 12 months.
In case of a successful allocation, an administration fee of €50 will be charged and must be paid along with the deposit and the first month's rent before moving into the room.
We recommend that you look at our page about renting a room in Passau even if you apply for a room in halls, especially if you plan to stay in Passau for a year or longer.
If you find alternative accommodation after you have applied for a room, please contact Alexandra Winterkorn to let her know you no longer need a room.
After you have applied, you will be contacted if we can offer you a room. If we cannot offer you a room in a round of room allocations, we will hold on to your application in case a room becomes available later on. We might also contact you with the details of private landlords who have told us about available rooms. However, we do not contact those who applied for accommodation with rejections, as the application stays active in our system until term starts.
The Accommodation Service for International students does not own any property. We allocate contracts and provide administrative support.
If you accept a room offered to you and you sign a contract, you are obliged to pay the rent. Under no circumstances does the University pay your rent, whether or not you occupy your room.
- The dorm rooms we allocate are fully furnished.
- Most rooms we allocate are in the following student halls.
- Bräugasse (halls operated by the Studentenwerk)
- Donau-Schwaben-Straße (halls operated by the Studentenwerk)
- Leonhard-Paminger-Straße (halls operated by the Studentenwerk)
- Maierhoferstraße (halls operated by the Studentenwerk)
- Haus St. Severin / Schönleitnerweg (halls operated by the Wohnbauwerk)
- St Nicola / Dr. Hans-Kapfinger-Straße (halls operated by Vegis Immobilien)
- Kitchen and bathroom facilities are usually shared, although some rooms have en-suite bathroom facilities or kitchenettes.
- Utility costs are included in the rent. Internet connection costs are included for most rooms.
- Rooms cost between about 250 Euro and 400 Euro per month.
- The minimum duration of a tenancy is five months. We allocate rooms for one semester or for a full academic year.
- Rent is charged for full months: no pro-rata refunds or discounts are given for periods in which you do not occupy your room.