You'd like to study at the University of Passau? We're delighted and we look forward to welcoming you on our campus soon! On this page, we explain how you can successfully apply to study on the programme of your choice. If you have any questions after reading the information please don't hesitate to contact us! Staff in the Student Registration Office will be happy to advise and support you during the application process.
The application procedure depends on your intended degree programme and on your academic background and qualifications. Please answer the questions below, then follow the link to get specific information on the application process and what documents to include in your application.
In order to qualify for a place of study at the University of Passau, you will have to meet one of the following requirements:
- a German general university entrance qualification (for example an Abitur)
- a German subject-specific university entrance qualification
- a German vocationally acquired university entrance qualification (German web page)
- a foreign or international university entrance qualification that is recognised in Germany
Furthermore, some undergraduate programmes are subject to admissions restrictions ("numerus clausus")
For teacher training programmes, if you wish to become a sports teacher or an arts teacher, you will have to pass aptitude tests to specialise in those subjects.
Finally, you will have to meet the German language requirements for the programme of your choice.
The fundamental prerequisite for joining a Master's programme is a completed undergraduate degree. Please look up the specific requirements for the Master's programme of your choice in the 'Academic Requirements' section of its web page.
There are two main application procedures for getting a place of study at the University of Passau: direct applications and applications via uni-assist. Which one you should use depends on your university entrance qualification and on whether you are a DAAD scholarship recipient.
If you have obtained German higher education entrance qualification ('Hochschulzugangsberechtigung'), for example an Abitur, then you can apply or enrol directly through the applications portal of the University of Passau.
The same process also applies if any of the following applies to you:
- You have obtained an Austrian higher education entrance qualification (Matura)
- You have obtained a German higher education entrance qualification abroad (for example at a German school that is based abroad)
- You have been issued with a higher education entrance certificate by a German Zeugnisanerkennungsstelle (Office for the evaluation and recognition of educational certificates)
- You have passed the assessment examination ('Feststellungsprüfung') of a preparatory course at a German Studienkolleg.
If you have successfully secured financing for your studies through a DAAD scholarship, then you can apply directly to the University of Passau for your place of study:
As a degree-seeking student (i.e. not a visiting student through an exchange programme), you will have to apply through uni-assist if the following statements apply to you:
- You have obtained your higher education entrance qualification in a foreign education system, and...
- none of the other scenarios listed under "Who can submit their application directly to the University of Passau?" apply to you, and...
- you don't have confirmation of a DAAD scholarship for your studies
Please note that this applies to you even if you are a German national.
If you are applying for a Master's programme, the main factor determining which application procedure you should use is the country where you obtained your first university degree.
If one of the following conditions applies to you, then you can apply directly through the applications portal of the University of Passau:
- You graduated with a degree (e. g. a Bachelor's degree) from a higher education provider in Germany or Austria
- You are applying for a place on the LL.M. German Law for foreign graduates (for details on how to apply, please see this programme's web page)
- You are applying for a place on the M.Sc. Computer Science, M.Sc. Artificial Intelligence Engineering or the M.Sc. Computational Mathematics and you have graduated from a higher education provider in one of the following countries: Albania, Algeria, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Iran, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Lebanon, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Moldova, Montenegro, Morocco, Netherlands, North Macedonia, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom or Vatican City.
If you have successfully secured financing for your studies through a DAAD scholarship, then you can apply directly to the University of Passau for your place of study.
Special case: the 'Helmut-Schmidt-Programme (Public Policy and Good Governance, PPGG)'
At the Universit of Passau, two Master's programmes are closely linked with the DAAD-PPGG scholarship programme:
- M.A. Governance and Public Policy - Helmut-Schmidt-Programme
- M.A. Development Studies - Helmut-Schmidt-Programme
For those two schemes, applications go through the designated DAAD-PPGG applications portal.
To become a Master's student at the University of Passau, you will have to apply through uni-assist if all of the following statements apply to you:
- You obtained your undergraduate degree abroad (outside Germany or Austria)
- None of the exceptions listed under "Who can submit their application directly to the University of Passau?" apply to you
- You don't have confirmation of a DAAD scholarship for your studies
Please note that this applies to you even if you are a German or Austrian national.
Some programmes offer double degree options, enabling students to gain a foreign degree qualification from a partner institution in addition to their degree from the Universit of Passau. The application processes for these double degree pathways vary from programme to programme.
Start by downloading the infosheet ('Infoschrift' in German) about the programme of your choice. There you will find answers to the following crucial questions:
- What is the deadline for applying to the double degree pathway?
- What additional requirements do you have to meet to apply?
- Does the double degree pathway incur any additional costs or tuition fees?
You can find the links to all the double degree programmes on the overview page.
If you have questions after you've looked up the relevant information, please seek out advice. The infosheet about the double degree programme of your choice lists the contact details of people who can advise you.
You can get additional advice from the International Office.
Most double degree programmes require you to submit a normal application for the programme at the University of Passau. In most cases, an additional application for participation in the double degree option has to be submitted at or around the same time, or in a specific semester.
If you are already an enrolled student at the University of Passau, and you wish to change into a different programme, or if you wish to enrol on a second programme alongside your first, please contact the Academic Advice Service to discuss your options.
If you have commenced studying on a programme at another university, and you wish to change universities and continue your studies of the same subject at the University of Passau, you should contact the Academic Advice Service for advice.
If you are planning to study at the University of Passau through an exchange programme or University partnership for one or two semesters, then you will have to enrol through the application portal for exchange and visiting students.
If you have any questions, the International Office will be happy to advise you.