If you have arrived on this page through a search engine and you don't know whether you need to use uni-assist to apply, please use the interactive 'How to apply' guide on this page, or visit the overview page about applying and enrolling.
Application deadlines for the winter semester:
- Undergraduate programmes:15 July
- Master Computer Science: 15 June
- Master Caritas Science and Values-based Management: 15 July
- all other Master's programmes: 30 June
Application deadlines for the summer semester:
- Master Computer Science and Master Computational Mathematics: 15 December
- Undergraduate and all other Master's programmes: 15 January
The application procedure depends on your intended degree programme and on your academic background and qualifications. Please answer the questions below, then follow the link to get specific information on the application process and what documents to include in your application.
The deadlines listed above are the dates by which your application, complete with all required documents, must have reached uni-assist. Otherwise, your application will not be considered until the next intake.
We recommend that you send in your paperwork at least wix weeks before the deadline. That way, there should be enough time, even if uni-assist requires additional information from you.
Once you have collected together all the required documents, you can apply as follows while the application period is open:
Your application documents should comprise:
- A copy of the identity page of your passport; EU citizens may send a copy of their national identity card instead. Please black out any sensitive information, such as the card numbers etc., but make sure your name, nationality and date of birth are clearly legible.
- A chronological curriculum vitae
- The following documents should be submitted as certified copies with certified translations (into German or English). Please do not submit the originals and read uni-assist's requirements regarding certified copies and translations.
- A certified copy of your university entrance qualification, together with a certified English or German translation, if needed (see above). You will have to submit this even if you are applying for a Master's programme.
- A certified copy of the transcripts of your studies and any certificates acquired showing your marks/grades/results, if you have perviously been enrolled on any degree programme (even if you did not complete it);
- A certified copy of a German language certificate at the required level for your programme (more details).
- If you are applying for a Master's programme, you may meed to provide evidence of meeting additional criteria (e. g. foreign language skills). Please visit the web page about your chosen Master's programme to check the requirements there.
- You may be required to submit additional documents depending on the country where you have acquired your academic qualifications. Please see uni-assist's country-specific information page for details.
Please send your application package complete with all required documents by mail to the following address:
c/o uni-assist e.V.
Uni-assist charges 75 euros to process your application to one university, and 30 euros for each additional university you apply to. Please pay the application handling fee directly to uni-assist.
If your application and documents package is incomplete, uni-assist cannot process your application. Please pay the application handling fees on the day that you submit your application. Uni-assist commences processing your application only after the fees have been received. This also means that the fees need to reach uni-assist before the application deadline.
There are comprehensive FAQs on the uni-assist website.
You can apply to only one University of Passau degree programme through uni-assist at a time. However, if you are applying to programmes at several universities through uni-assist at the same time, you only need to send in your required documents once.
If your academic record meets all formal requirements for the programme of your choice, then uni-assist will forward your application to the University of Passau. You will receive an email when this happens.
The University of Passau will then contact you with an offer of a place of study (Zulassungsbescheid) or a rejection (Ablehnungsbescheid), along with instructions for how to enrol (if applicable).
If you are applying for an undergraduate degree programme and if your secondary education is not recognised as equivalent to a general university entrance qualification in Germany, then one possible outcome is that the University sends you a conditional offer of a place of study.
In that case, the offer will require you to complete and pass a one-year preparatory course at a Studienkolleg. The preparatory course will finish with a Feststellungsprüfung (university qualification exam). If you pass this exam, you will receive an indirect university entrance qualification ('indirekte Hochschulzugangsberechtigung')
You can check in advance whether this scenario is likely to apply to you: use uni-assist's university admissions check tool. This will let you know whether your secondary school qualification will be recognised as university entrance qualification, whether it entitles you to attend a preparatory course, or whether you need to obtain other qualifications first. If the admissions check tool indicates that you will have to attend a Studienkolleg, you must still apply to a German university first. You cannot apply directly to a preparatory course as these only accept students referred by universities.
If you need to pass a preparatory course before you can enrol at the University of Passau, you will be sent an invitation to attend an entrance test at the Munich Studienkolleg. You will then be automatically assigned to the preparatory course that suits your chosen degree programme at the University of Passau. If you pass the university qualification exam at the end of the one-year course, you can enrol directly on your chosen programme at the University of Passau.
If your application fails to meet the requirements of your chosen degree programme, then uni-assist will inform you of this. Unfortunately, your documents cannot be returned. You will be able to apply for the next intake with new documents.
If you receive an offer of a place of study at the University of Passau, and if you then fail to enrol on the programme in time, we will keep your data on file for one year. After that time, the data will be deleted.
Uni-assist stores your data for four years. During that time, your data is only accessible to uni-assist and the universities you choose to apply to. After four years, your data is deleted.
If you'd like to know how your academic results are translated into the German system of academic grades, you can use the calculation tool below. If your native system doesn't use numbers for academic grades, but, for example, letters, then you must first turn the grades into numbers.
The above tool uses the formula decided upon by the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs. It is known as 'modifizierte bayerische Formel' (modified Bavarian formula).
Please note: academic grading systems vary significantly between countries. The calculation tool has been created for your convenience. Its results are not legally binding, but a guideline for general information purposes only.