Dear prospective students!
First of all, congratulations for choosing the University of Passau for your exchange semester. We are certain you will enjoy your time at the University of Passau.
While you are preparing your trip to and your time in Passau, we would like to offer you a possibility to make this semester abroad even more exciting. We would like to invite you to become a member of the next University of Passau team for the 64th Philip C. Jessup International Moot Court Competition.
The Competition is a simulation of a fictional dispute between countries before the International Court of Justice, the judicial organ of the United Nations. Teams prepare oral and written pleadings arguing both the applicant and respondent positions of the case.
Next year’s Jessup case will be addressing the interpretation of a peace treaty, deadly attacks in allegedly occupied territory, unilateral economic sanctions, and the legal consequences of failing to dispose of hazardous waste properly.
What does the Jessup give you?
- Great teamwork experience,
- further knowledge of Public International Law,
- perfect English language skills,
- perfect presentation skills,
- contact to international law firms (e.g. for internships),
- sponsored business trips to Frankfurt am Main, Munich and Vienna,
- sponsored participation at the German National Rounds,
- possibly a participation in the International Finale in Washington, D.C.,
- 25 ECTS,
- and a lot of fun!
What do you need?
- No in depth knowledge of Public International Law (there will be introductory courses when you arrive in Passau),
- But a strong interest in Public International Law,
- Legal or comparable background (e.g. Governance or Public Policy studies, etc.),
- motivation to work in a team,
- great personal performance skills,
- profound knowledge of the English language,
- the motivation to spend the necessary amount of time,
- and rhetorical skills (we will however hold a workshop to further improve your skills in this.
How do you apply for the Jessup?
- By July 3rd, 2022, please send us:
- a letter of motivation (in English),
- your CV (in English),
- proof of performance (record),
- enrolment certificate of your current university,
- any document that shows that you will study at the University of Passau next semester,
- and any other documents that you think will help your application.
- Please send your application as a single pdf file by mail.
The application process does include both a short presentation and an interview. Both of these will be held online for international applicants.
Over the years, the university of Passau has established a remarkable history of Jessup teams consisting of German as well as International Students, which was a great benefit for the entire team! In almost every round, there was at least one international student supporting the Passau Jessup team, which strengthened the international character of the Competition even more.
We therefore strongly encourage you to apply to be part of the team and be part of this unique experience!
For further information have a look at the website of the International Law Students Organisation, which administers the Jessup Competition or at our Jessup Team homepage.
For further questions please contact us by mail.