Our virtual Postgraduate Open Days on 3-4 February 2022 is your opportunity to learn about all our varied postgraduate programmes. Find out why studying for a Master's qualification in Passau will be a great step forward for you!
|Degree awarded||Master of Arts (M.A.)|
|Duration and credits||4 semesters; 120 ECTS credits|
|Starts in||October (winter semester)|
|Language of instruction||German|
Caritas Science and Values-based Management is concerned with the practice of charity in the spirit of Christian altruism. Do you want to gain a level of socio-political competence that allows you to be an effective advocate for the Disadvantaged? Do you volunteer for charitable causes? Do you want to ensure that the decisions and actions you take in a social, pedagogical, pastoral or administrative role are ethically sound? Studying Caritas Science will enable you to supplement your first degree with a social-theological specialisation. Depending on your final mark, this Master's degree also permits access to doctoral studies.
- The University of Passau is the only university in Bavaria to teach the Master of Arts degree programme in Caritas Science and Values-based Management.
- The degree programme can be studied part-time (sandwich programme).
- Excellent staff/student ratio; personal contact with lecturers.
This degree programme prepares students for executive roles in non-profit organisations and enables them to undertake qualified roles in charitable and social organisations, Caritas and Diakonie, as well as private-sector businesses and civil service organisations. This degree is also relevant for occupations in adult education, counselling and coaching.
The degree programme is divided into six module groups:
A) Caritas Theological Thought
- Christian Concept of Humanity and Christian Practices in Post-Modern Times
- Guiding Principles of Charity
- The Therapeutic Side of Theology
B) Ethical Actions and Decisions
- Advocacy of a Just Society Characterised by Solidarity
- Criteria and Paths to Life Ethics
- Decision-Making Tools in Borderline Situations
- Ethics in Business
C) Guiding Others and Developing Organisations
- Psychology and Theology of Managing Staff and Organisations
- Values-based Management
- Diagnosis and Intervention in Social Systems
- Legal Principles of Charity in Practice (labour law, social law and law of associations)
D) Giving Qualified Advice and Developing Personality
- Managing Staff Interviews Competently
- Communication and Counselling in Personal Crises
- Psychological Hygiene and Spiritual Resources
E) Reflecting on Real Practices
- Basic Psychological Skills for Daily Life and at Work
- Resilience and Salutogenesis
F) Caritas-Scientific Research
- Empirical Social Research
- Practical and Theological Research Methods
- Master's thesis
In addition to lectures, your training will comprise practice sessions, field trips, essays and voluntary internships, for which you will receive extensive guidance and support. You will write your Master's thesis in the second half of the degree programme.
Applicants should have a first degree, gained on the basis of a degree programme with a standard duration of of three year's full-time study, with a final result of 3.5 or better according to the German marking system, or ranked among the best 50 percent of candidates in the relevant examination period, in Business Studies, Christian Religious Education, Economics, Law, Education, Medicine, Philosophy, Psychology, Religious Education, Social Work, Theology or a related discipline.
You need German language skills at level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for languages (CEFR), attested by either DSH-1 or an equivalent certificate. Recognised German language certificates