Please apply via our application portal from 1 June until 31 July 2020.
The scholarship programme is open to graduates from Africa, Central and Latin America, Asia, from countries in the Middle East as well as from the Ukraine who want to actively contribute to the social and economic development of their home countries. It is offered both for young graduates without professional experience and for mid-career professionals. Apart from an at least upper second level bachelor’s degree in the field of social sciences, political science, law, economics and in public administration, there are certain other formal prerequisites for applying successfully.
Scholarships can only be granted to applicants from selected countries.
Moreover, graduates that have been living in Germany for more than 15 months prior to application and applicants who graduated from their home university more than six years ago, are not eligible for a Helmut-Schmidt-Programme scholarship. Previous working experiences in the field of public administration, civil society etc. definitely increase your chances to be awarded a scholarship!
Applying might seem simple at first glance. But you have to pay attention to your application files to be complete and valid. Therefore, please have a look at our application manual before you upload your files to our application portal (Applications via e-mail or as postal item won't be considered!).
IMPORTANT: You can apply with up to two out of the eight institutions of higher learning within the Helmut-Schmidt-Programme network. If you decide to do so, you need to submit your application with each institution separately, regardless whether it is your first or second choice. Write a single letter of motivation for both university courses you choose, justifying your first and second priority choice. Application procedures may vary between the institutions, so prepare your application package carefully and according to the respective formal standards of the universities of your choice!
The application period at the University of Passau for the 2021/2022 academic session starts on 1 June 2020 and ends on 31 July 2020. Please refrain from handing in applications before or after that period.
Before applying via our application portal please prepare the following documents and save them as PDF files:
- DAAD application form for Research Grants and Study Scholarships (only electronically editing possible),
- a hand-signed letter of motivation with current date containing a precise description of the applicant’s academic/professional and personal reasons for choosing this scholarship programme and the universities with a maximum of 2 pages,
- a hand signed complete CV with current date including information about the applicant’s precise field of study and, if applicable, description of job experience,
- electronic copies of university diplomas on officially headed paper (an explanation of the grading system has to be attached),
- electronic copies of your transcript(s) of records on officially headed paper,
- electronic copies of the school leaving certificate/High School diploma which entitles holders to study at a university in their home country
- electronic copies of of a language certificate, testifying your English language skills equivalent to at least B2 level of the “Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). In case the general medium of instruction at your previous university was English it is sufficient to attach a confirmation of your university on officially headed paper. We do not accept certificates issued more than two years ago,
- if available, electronic copies of a language certificate, testifying your German language skills on officially headed paper,
- one letter of recommendation, signed and recently dated by your university professor or current employer, supplemented by an official letterhead, and stamp.
- job reference(s) of your (former) employer(s), if you have mentioned any kind of job experience in your CV.
Documents that are not originally in the English or German language have to be handed in with an official English or German translation. Please prepare all documents carefully and follow the instructions on our application portal.
Please submit only legible copies of your documents. Also consider that illegible documents can lead to a formal rejection.
In case your application is sent to more than two universities or if nonspecific priorities are given, your application will not be accepted.
Because of the vast number of applications, we receive each year, only complete and formally correct applications that reach us within the given application period will be considered for a scholarship.
We also have to dutifully point out the fact that any kind of forgery within your application, e. g. forged diplomas, applying for more than two Helmut-Schmidt-Programme universities in Germany at the same time etc., will lead to an immediate expulsion from the application process.
After careful evaluation of your application by our staff, a joint committee of DAAD representatives and members of the Passau Helmut-Schmidt-Programme team will meet in late autumn/early winter 2020 to pick the scholarship holders for the winter 2021/2022 academic session. You will be notified about the result of your application by mid-December 2020 at the latest.
Between August and December 2020, we reserve the right to request you for a Skype interview. Please make sure that you’ll be available via e-mail to fix an appointment.
From 1 April 2021 onwards, you will attend a six-months language intensive course in Germany before commencing your studies at the University of Passau in October 2021. In addition to that, we will organize a welcome event for the new Helmut-Schmidt-Programme cohort in summer 2021.