University of Passau: Master of Science (M.Sc.)
|Duration||4 to 5 semesters|
|Starts in||October (winter semester) and April (summer semester)|
Within the computer science master's programme, students of the University of Passau can obtain a double degree with the French Ecole Nationale Supérieure d'Informatique pour l'Industrie et l'Entreprise in Evry (Paris metro area). This enables them to obtain not only a Master of Science (M.Sc.) from the University of Passau but also the 'Diplôme d'Ingénieur ENSIIE'.
The Ecole Nationale Supérieure d'Informatique pour l'Industrie et l'Entreprise is one of the oldest French universities to award the Diplôme d'Ingénieur in the field of computer science. ENSIIE offers various specialised study programmes, for example in the fields of software development and security, virtual and augmented reality, video games, applied mathematics, finance, big data and artificial intelligence.
The cluster 'C-19' was founded on the initiative of ENSIIE. This is where video games and digital interactions are studied and developed – a place where education, research, entrepreneurship and digital culture overlap.
The digital incubator 'IMT starter' supports start-ups in the information and communication sector that have a high potential for innovation and job creation.
- Combination of computer science studies and intercultural experience at an Ecole d'Ingénieurs in France.
- Acquisition of a double degree: 'Master of Science' in Computer Science from the University of Passau and the French 'Diplôme d'Ingénieur ENSIIE'.
- ENSIIE has a resource and innovation centre for video games and digital interactions. This includes a technological platform for video game development. It is also home to various innovative companies and cultural associations associated with video and digital technology. ENSIIE seeks to combine video games with digital innovations: Areas of particular emphasis include video games with virtual or augmented reality and simulations as well as serious games and digital Art.
- The double master's programme combines basic research (University of Passau) with applied science and a focus on the promotion of start-ups (ENSIIE).
If you start your master's programme in the winter semester, you will study the first three semesters at ENSIIE Evry and move to the University of Passau for the fourth semester.
If you start your studies in summer semester, you will complete the first semester in Passau and then study for three semesters in Evry.
The entire master’s curriculum contains 120 ECTS credits, including the master’s thesis.
At ENSIIE, students from Passau can take courses in the following areas: Fundamentals of Computer Science and Engineering, DataScale, CILS (Design Intelligence Software and Systems), SeCrets, RVSI (Virtual Reality and Augmented Systems).
Financial support is also available through the ERASMUS+ programme. The application for this is to be submitted to the International Office of the University of Passau by 15 March.
Students in the double master's programme do not pay tuition fees at the host university. A semester contribution is due for studying at the University of Passau.
Admission requirements for the M.Sc. Computer Science are:
- Completed bachelor's degree (at least 110 ECTS credits in computer science)
- Placement in the top 70% of your cohort or a minimum final grade of 2.7 in the German system or 12 points in the French system
Further information about applying for the M.Sc. Computer Science and application deadline
Knowledge of foreign languages is not an explicit admission requirement, but we do recommend that applicants have a command of French and English at level B2 CEFR (many courses at ENSIIE Evry are taught in French).
Students are selected for the double master's programme via a two-stage application procedure based on their academic performance and motivation.