Due to the corona pandemic, the Orientation Week could not take place in its usual format this year. We are putting every effort into creating an alternative, virtual programme of events, so you can have a smooth start at university.
Information about the programme of events can be found on the web pages of the student committees. The latest developments with regards to the coming semester and the digitalisation of teaching are detailed in the FAQs about the Coronavirus.
If you have any questions, you are welcome to contact the Academic Advice Service ahead of time by email.
How do I put together my timetable? Who are my coursemates? What pitfalls do I need to watch out for when organising my studies? You'll get the answers by attending the Orientation Week (a.k.a. 'O-Woche' in German), which takes place before regular teaching commences. Organised by the student committees, this induction to university life will help you get started at university!
Summer semester 2020
- Virtual Orientation Week for International Students: 14 & 15 April 2020, with chat-based advice surgeries on 16 and 17 April 2020
- Virtual Orientation Week for all students:14 April 2020 to 17 April 2020
We recommend international students to take part in both orientation weeks.
The International Office offers Orientation Weeks for new international students. These coincide with the general O-Woche, but provide more information specifically tailored to international students starting out at the University.
For the general O-Wochen for all students, each faculty's student committee ('Fachchaft') puts together their own programme. You'll be able to find the programmes of events (all of which will take place online this year) around one or two weeks ahead of the Orientation Week on the following web pages:
- Orientation Week for students enrolled at the Faculty of Law
- Orientation Week for students enrolled at the Faculty of Business Administration and Economics
- Orientation Week for students enrolled at the Faculty of Arts and Humanities
- Orientation Week for students enrolled at the Faculty of Computer Science and Mathematics
- Orientation Week for students on teacher training programmes
IT induction events
The Centre for Information Technology and Media Services offers events where you can find out about your user name and password, access to e-learning systems, email and wifi. These events will take place virtually this year, too:
The Language Centre offers information about