In this Onboarding Guide, we have compiled information for a successful start to your working life at the University of Passau. You will find an overview of important contact persons, help in using the university's own computer programmes and information on organisational topics.
The Human Resources Division provides information on all documents to be submitted in order to complete the employment contract. The application for exemption from the compulsory insurance in the supplementary pension scheme is particularly important. The application must be submitted within two months of the start of the employment relationship, otherwise the occupational pension entitlement will lapse.
Please note: If the employment contract is interrupted for even one day, you have to submit a new application for exemption. If this is not done, you will automatically be compulsorily insured again.
Questions? Please contact Diana Eckmüller (Phone extension: -1320).
To order books, magazines etc. online or borrow books from the University Library, you need to present your CampusCard at the library check-out counter. This card is issued upon commencement of employment or enrolment as a doctoral student.
The library regularly offers guided tours and training courses. For more information and to make an appointment, please see Guided Tours and Training Seminars.
Doctoral students without an office workstation at the university may also apply for a carrel in the library as a workstation. Please contact the University Library for further information.
Staff members of the university who are simultaneously enrolled as doctoral students can choose between a CampusCard for students (student ID) and a CampusCard for University staff. The help & support page provides information about the CampusCard for doctoral students and the different CampusCard versions.
- If you opt for the grey CampusCard for University staff, you can obtain a so-called supplementary study ID in paper form (valid e.g. as bus pass for public transport in Passau) every semester by submitting an informal application to the Student Registration Office. In addition, you can obtain a card for the refectory (student rate) at the Studendenwerk upon presentation of this supplementary study ID.
- If you opt for the orange CampusCard for students, you can apply for a green library card at the service counters of the University Library. (This generally applies to doctoral students and does not require you to be employed at the university. The University Library informs about this library card).
Enrolment as a doctoral student at the University should be done at the beginning of doctoral study. A semester contribution is payable each semester. When you enrol, you have access to the following benefits:
- Free use of the bus service of Stadtwerke Passau
- Reduced prices in the refectory and cafeterias of the Student Services Association (Studentenwerk)
- Free access to the courses of the Centre for Careers and Competencies
- Use of the University Library
- Travel expense subsidy
- Registration in internal university mailing lists for information on thesis defence, guest lectures, events, funding opportunities etc.
- Discounts at cultural institutions, for travelling etc.
For us as representatives for academic staff it is important to know about the number of doctoral students at the University and to be able to reach them if necessary. Only this enables us to make representative statements. We therefore strongly encourage all doctoral students at the University of Passau to enrol at the University.
You need these credentials, e.g. to register in Stud.IP (one of the University's virtual learning environments), to log into your e-mail account, or to access the University Library via external access. Lecturer authorisation must be applied for separately by someone with the required permissions (chair holder or secretaries).