B.Sc. Digital Transformation in Business and Society
|Degree awarded||Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.)|
|Duration and credits||6 semesters; 180 ECTS credits|
|Starts in||October (winter semester)|
|Language of instruction||German|
About the programme
Digitalisation is fundamentally changing our economy and society. The increasing reliance of organisations on information technology creates a need for professionals who have a solid, broad grasp of business administration processes as well as the technical skills to help shape the digital transformation.
The B.Sc. Digital Transformation in Business and Society programme enables you to take on precisely this key role. This degree programme has a strong business administration orientation and allows you to set your own interdisciplinary specialisation. You can choose to specialise in management or information systems and additionally learn about digital communication, IT law or psychology. This will enable you to support the digital transformation of organisations and develop new business models.
The School of Business, Economics and Information Systems offers two Master's programmes – M.Sc. Business Administration and M.Sc. Information Systems – which build on this Bachelor's programme.
For details, please consult the Academic Advice Service'sinfosheet [German content].
- Focus of the study on the opportunities and challenges of digitalisation in business and society
- Interdisciplinary subject combinations with a focus on management or information systems with digital communication, psychology or IT law
- Excellent career prospects and access to a broad business and industry network
- Optimal study conditions
- Balanced ratio between lectures, interactive exercises in small groups and e-learning courses
- Broad and interdisciplinary initial study phase as a basis for many business and digitalisation-related master’s programmes
The digital transition poses new challenges for all areas of the economy and society. That is why demand is increasing for experts and managers who not only have economic specialist knowledge but also well-founded methods, data and digitalisation skills. The degree programme Digital Transformation in Business and Society prepares you for exactly these tasks.
Graduates are prepared for the challenges of the digitalised world in many ways:
(1) for the co-development and design of digitalisation strategies of companies and organisations in business development or strategy and IT consulting companies,
(2) for new occupations and interface functions in the field of data analysis and visualisation,
(3) as specialists and managers in the online context, e-commerce or the field of user experience or
(4) in the start-up environment.
Furthermore, the degree programme creates the access conditions for further occupational fields in education and science, market and opinion research as well as (depending on area of focus selected) in the occupational fields of media and communication research, media management and the development of digital services.
The B.Sc. Digital Transformation in Business and Society has a business administration focus. It is supplemented by modules from related disciplines, particularly law and social sciences.
The degree programme is divided into five areas:
- Initial study phase
- Elective modules
- Bachelor’s dissertation
In the initial study phase, which takes place over two semesters, you will acquire the fundamental methods, data and digitalisation skills by learning business, law and IT knowledge, theories and methods.
From the third semester onwards, you study one major subject in depth to further develop your subject-specific skills. There is a choice of two programmes:
- The management major initially imparts knowledge on in the basics of administrative functions and decision fields.
- The information systems major teaches you how to manage processes of digital transformation in companies and organisations.
You should choose a minor option to enhance your competencies and expand your interdisciplinary education. Your minor deals with the challenges of digitalisation in fields that are complementary to the business field. The minor options include digital communication, IT law and psychology.
To apply for this degree programme you need a recognised university entrance qualification, e.g. the German Abitur or an equivalent qualification.
You will need German language skills at level C1 CEFR or higher to study this degree programme, as that is the main language of instruction for this programme. Therefore, you will have to provide a recognised German language certificate such as DSH-2 or TestDaF 4 in all four categories, unless German was the language of instruction for your secondary school education (e.g. Abitur at a German international school) or prior tertiary education.
The University of Passau has set up a German language teaching unit, German Courses Passau, which offers a selection of preparatory language programmes tailored to the needs of international students. These range from summer courses to a full academic year and cater to learners of all levels.
Infosheet on the degree programme (German)
Hier können Sie die Infoschrift zum Studiengang Digital Transformation in Business and Society speichern.
Get detailed information on the application process and start your application – or e-mail us your questions.