|Degree awarded||Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.)|
|Duration and credits||6 semesters; 180 ECTS credits|
|Starts in||October (winter semester)|
|Language of instruction||German|
Digitalisation is fundamentally changing our economy and society. Almost all organisations are looking for skilled workers who will process the opportunities and societal challenges linked to digitalisation from an economic perspective and thereby help to shape the future.
The B.Sc. Digital Transformation in Business and Society programme enables you to take on precisely this key role. You learn to identify economic problems with societal relevance in the context of digitalisation, to analyse them independently using scientific methods, and to solve them. You support the development of new business models and shape the digital transformation in companies and organisations. Thanks to the interdisciplinary focus of the degree programme, you get an overview of the digital transformation and societal effects.
You can set individual points of focus for your degree and your later choice of career. This means that you have the possibility, after an interdisciplinary initial phase, of deciding on a point of focus (Management Major or Information Systems Major) and an additional specialist field (Digital Communication Minor, IT Law Minor, Psychology Minor). In addition, you can choose freely from the elective modules, allowing you to shape your skills profile.
For details, please consult the Academic Advice Service's infosheet (German).
- Focus of the study on the opportunities and challenges of digitalisation in business and society
- Interdisciplinary teaching subjects with a focus on management or information systems with digital communication, psychology or IT law
- Excellent career prospects and access to a wide network in business and industry
- Optimal conditions for students
- Balanced ratio between lectures, interactive exercises in small groups and e-learning programmes
- Wide-ranging and interdisciplinary induction phase as a basis for many business and digitalisation-related master’s programmes
The digital transition poses new challenges for all areas of the economy and society. That is why demand is increasing for experts and managers who not only have economic specialist knowledge but also well-founded methods, data and digitalisation skills. The degree programme Digital Transformation in Business and Society prepares you for exactly these tasks.
Graduates are prepared for the challenges of the digitalised world in many ways:
(1) for the co-development and design of digitalisation strategies of companies and organisations in business development or strategy and IT consulting companies,
(2) for new occupations and interface functions in the field of data analysis and visualisation,
(3) as specialists and managers in the online context, e-commerce or the field of user experience or
(4) in the start-up environment.
Furthermore, the degree programme creates the access conditions for further occupational fields in education and science, market and opinion research as well as (depending on area of focus selected) in the occupational fields of media and communication research, media management and the development of digital services.
The B.Sc. Digital Transformation in Business and Society has a business administration focus. It is supplemented by modules from related disciplines, particularly law and social sciences.
The degree programme is divided into five areas:
- Initial study phase
- Elective modules
- Bachelor’s dissertation
In the initial study phase, which takes place over two semesters, you acquire the fundamental methods, data and digitalisation skills by learning business, law and IT knowledge, theories and methods.
From the third semester onwards, you study one Major subject in depth to further develop your subject-specific skills. There is a choice of two programmes:
- The Management Major initially imparts knowledge on in the basics of administrative functions and decision fields.
- The Information Systems Major teaches you how to manage processes of digital transformation in companies and organisations.
You should choose a Minor option to enhance your competencies and expand your interdisciplinary education. Your Minor deals with the challenges of digitalisation in fields that are complementary to the business field. The Minor options include Digital Communication, IT law and Psychology.
To apply for this degree programme you need a recognised university entrance qualification, e.g. the German Abitur or an equivalent qualification.
You will need German language skills at level C1 CEFR or higher to study this degree programme, as that is the main language of instruction for this programme. Therefore, you will have to provide a recognised German language certificate such as DSH-2 or TestDaF 4 in all four categories, unless German was the language of instruction for your secondary school education (e.g. Abitur at a German international school) or prior tertiary education.
The University of Passau has set up a German language teaching unit, German Courses Passau, which offers a selection of preparatory language programmes tailored to the needs of international students. These range from summer courses to a full academic year and cater to learners of all levels.
Infosheet on the degree programme (German)
Hier können Sie die Infoschrift zum Studiengang Digital Transformation in Business and Society speichern.