The University of Passau opened on 9 October 1978 with a total enrolment figure of 463 students in its first semester.
11,823 students and enrolled doctoral researchers (as at 30 March 2021),
including 1,592 international students (13.47%) from e.g. India (150), Austria (149), Russian Federation (96), China (PRC) (89), Tunisia (72), Pakistan (65), France (53), Iran (51), Turkey (50), Syria (46), Italy (46), Ukraine (41), Nigeria (40), Hungary (37), Brazil (26), Bangladesh (24), Egypt (22), Colombia (22), Vietnam (22), Morocco (21), Czech Republic (21), Greece (20), Kosovo (19), USA (19), Albania (17), Croatia (17), Bulgaria (16), Argentina (15), Poland (15), Indonesia (14), Spain (14), Romania (13), Ghana (12), Mexico (12), Azerbaijan (11) and Nepal (10).
|Faculty of Law||19||3|
|Business, Economics and Information Systems||23||1|
|Arts and Humanities (incl. Department of Catholic Theology)||35||23|
|Computer Science and Mathematics||18||4||3|
|Faculty||Enrolled students||of which in their 1st semester of study|
|Faculty of Law||2,164||6|
|Business, Economics and Information Systems||1,599||41|
|Arts and Humanities (incl. Department of Catholic Theology, excl. Teacher Education Programmes)||4,235||205|
|Computer Science and Mathematics||1095||116|
|Teacher Education Programmes||2,482||71|
|Enrolled doctoral students||248||14|
The student figures show the total number of students enrolled in programmes offered by the respective faculties. Due to the modular nature of the bachelor’s and master’s programmes as well as the long-cycle teacher education programmes, the degree programmes may include modules administered by other faculties.
|Staff in primary occupation||Academic staff||Professional staff|
(Figures as at 1 February 2021)
The University maintains worldwide partnerships with 255 universities abroad (figure as at 1 October 2020).
- Research Services
- Graduate Centre
The Graduate Centre is the first port of call for all organisational and interdisciplinary questions concerning doctoral and postdoctoral research. It offers the following services:
- Advice and training programmes on various different competency areas relevant to early career researchers
- Grants for travel expenses and publication expenses
- Individual advice and a wide range of information on doctoral and postdoctoral study
- Careers advice for early career researchers
- Research Training Groups
- Eight doctoral programmes and research training groups
- Two ZD.B junior research groups in the areas of
Undergraduate teacher education programmes
Programmes concluding with a state examination:
Programmes concluding with a bachelor's or master's degree
- Language courses for students of all faculties in Chinese, Czech, English, French, German as a Foreign Language, Indonesian, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Thai, Turkish and Vietnamese
- Subject-specific language programmes for students of business & economics; cultural studies & international relations; law; and computer science & mathematics
- A wide range of transferable skills courses are offered to all students through the Centre for Careers and Competencies
- Numerous exchange programmes with our international partner universities
- International double degree programmes for students enrolled in the Law undergraduate programme; LL.M. German and Russian Law; M.Sc. Business Administration; M.A. European Studies; M.A. Governance and Public Policy; B.A. and M.A. International Cultural and Business Studies; M.Sc. Computational Mathematics; and M.Sc. Computer Science
Student halls of residence with approximately 600 rooms.
Refectory with a seating capacity of 560.
Proportion of students receiving BAföG student loans: 12.4% (in winter semester 2019–20)